01 March 2012

I stood too long in the way of the door...

3

 - Madewell dress
 - vintage blazer
 - Rachel Comey boots
 - sunglasses c/o BonLook
 - listening to: Fiona Apple - When the Pawn "Love Ridden"

I have been a huge Fiona Apple fan since her first album in 1996.  I was 20 years old, living on my own for the first time and the sound of Tidal takes me back to that moment in time whenever I hear it.  I was lucky enough to see her play at the Alabama Theater after When the Pawn... came out.  Unfortunately that's the one and only time I've managed to see her live.  She used to play small shows in Los Angeles from time to time but getting tickets to those was pretty much impossible unless you had an inside industry connection. 

So... I was ridiculously excited to learn that she has several shows planned in the northeast during March.  I thought, what a perfect birthday present!  Now, here is where the rant begins.  The tickets for the shows were all "sold out" and marked up at least four times face value on StubHub before they even went on sale to the public.  Argh!  I still don't understand how that is even legal.  It's called scalping, people!  Yes, I've read the legal mumbo-jumbo that they aren't scalpers, they're ticket brokers, blah, blah, blah.  So, unless I want to shell out several hundred dollars to see the show (which I don't) I guess I'll be finding something else to do for my birthday.  Did anybody manage to score themselves tickets? 

18 comments:

Chaucee said...

Love this dress! Ever since you posted an inspiration board with it on there I've been dying to have it. Maybe someday....

Also thanks for the tip about Fiona! I love her!

Michelle Marie said...

Oh bummer!! I find these days that these stupid corrupt companies swoop in, buy mass handfuls of tickets and then sell them at a new, higher, ridiculous cost. Not fair :(

I hope that somehow, through the magic of Craigslist, Kijiji, something, that a ticket finds its way to you at a reasonable price.

PS...the outfit, well its perfection :)

xo
M

Amets said...

I love all you photos and clothes you wear.

There is a lot a lot of time I follow you, but I think I have never posted you.

Congratulation for your work!!

kisses from Basque Country (spain)

sweet harvest moon said...

Too bad about the tickets :(

Love the elbow patches and the dress, perfect together

june said...

I LOVE Fiona: she' s one of the greatest!
Very cute dress.
Ciao;)

Retro_vold said...

Dashing photo! As for tickets no luck here! Nor her or Florence Welch.
Thats bother. :)

Joy said...

what what this is such a shame. great outfit though.

Eyeliah said...

I know, it is total crap! Scalping is actually legal in Canada!! I have such a passion against scalping, I have missed out on many a show because of them. I am a huge Fiona fan too, I listen to her music regularly. I heard she will be putting out new music too!!

Eyeliah said...

I know, it is total crap! Scalping is actually legal in Canada!! I have such a passion against scalping, I have missed out on many a show because of them. I am a huge Fiona fan too, I listen to her music regularly. I heard she will be putting out new music too!!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I love When the Pawn. . .out of all her albums I listen to that one the most, myself. I was in middle school in 1996. . .and some of the kids that I lead at youth group were not even born yet. goodness. . how time flies, right? I remember when Criminal came out but I wasn't allowed to listen to her. Once I was 17 I started to listen to her without my parents paying attention to my music selection. Anyway, Paper Bag is my favorite song of hers. I used to play it over and over again when I had a crush on my husband in high school.
I love her Extraordinary Machine album too. I think it's time for a new one, and if she has another one. . .I had no idea. Have a wonderful day, and continue to look amazing.

premiumswag.blogspot.com said...

love this whole ensemble!!

Leah said...

Jeez I get so much ticket rage. Even if it's not sold out instantly, you still have to pay like three extra fees just for the privilege of ordering them online when there is no other option. Plus a stupidly high shipping fee.
The best one of all is when, if you don't want them posted to you, you can alternately pay the SAME fee to be allowed to pick them up AT THE VENUE!

The ticket-selling industry is massively, massively bloated and self-satisfied. I say we take 'em...

You look lovely, by the way!

Kristian said...

The ticket buying situation sounds nuts, plain and simple. Sorry that your initial idea for your birthday doesn't sound like it will pan out; hope you find something else awesome to do.

You look lovely btw!

Anonymous said...

hope you get tickets! I love this dress-such lovely colours on you!

In the Weeds said...

Hi, thank you for writing about your frustration regarding e-scalpers, and the struggles with paying 4x face value to see a fan you've enjoyed for so many years. Please come visit us at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scalpers-Took-My-Fiona-Apple-Tickets/328417033861852 and help us fight the system known as ticket brokers. Please feel free to drop us a note as well!!!

Maria Ramona said...

i agree, that ticket situation is pretty fucking ridiculous. remember when all the good shows were $20 max? anyway, its nice to know we're kindred spirits in musical tastes & age-wise as well i was born in 1975 an i always feel like such an old lady in the internet world. ;)

bob and eunice said...

That is ridiculous. i'm sorry about the ticket situation! i hope you find something equally fun and entertaining..

you look lovely in the madewell dress. i almost got it myself ;)
Eunice
http://www.whatsyourtalenightingale.com

Unknown said...

You look so awesome! That blazer looks perfect with the cute little dress.