24 June 2011

Photography: The Beatles London

a

I had so much fun looking through this collection of then-and-now Beatles photographs. First of all, I love the Beatles. Second, I've always wanted to visit London and third, tracking down these spots is totally something nerdy Tom and I would do. When we were living in LA we visited the diner from the opening scene of Reservoir Dogs ("I don't tip because society says I have to"), sat in a booth at the Quality Cafe where countless scenes have been shot (Old School, Ghost World, Seven, Training Day) and ate possibly the worst grilled cheese and french fries of our lives and on our last trip we sat on the bench from 500 Days of Summer and took photos (speaking of which, I need to put those on the blog soon).

I like seeing how much these spots have changed (or haven't changed as the case may be) in the years since the Beatles walked the streets of London. I hope to one day visit and see some of these place for myself. Also in the list is finding places where The Smith had their photos taken in Manchester!

b

14 comments:

allie smith said...

ahh love them. Dig it. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to do exactly the same :) because I love the Beatles so much and of course the Smiths as well. Though I've been to Manchester before and stayed in Salford where Morrissey used to live I think. Great pics!
Lini x

http://ascentofrosewood.blogspot.com/

dahhlayne said...

Amazing! I would love to visit those places and feel as if I'm in the shoes of the Beatles. I too have been to the bench from 500 Days of Summer! My friends and I were wandering around the little sloping park looking for the bench, and I pointed at one and said,"Isn't it the one with the suspicious-looking plague on it?" haha

forte-espresssivo.blogspot.com

Cel said...

The Beatles <3 Bummer about the poopy grilled cheese, how can you even mess that up?

It's fun trying to spot the differences in those photos, some barely look any different.

Ruth said...

These are amazing! thanks so much for sharing. :)

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Beatles photographs is what originally got me into photography when I was a kid. I loved looking at them. They are great shots throughout their time as a group. It is sad to see how some of these places have changed over the years (other than the striptease sign, that's an improvement)

Jean Caulfield said...

what. i am dying. this is the coolest thing ever. why couldn't i could've come?! beautiful :)
<3 john paulie george ringo!

Ann Louise said...

I love the Beatles! This is so awesome. :)

xo,
Wendy

Miss Marie said...

As an architectural historian, I'm intrigued to see that an urn has since been put back on the pedestal Ringo's sitting on. They've made it look weathered too, to suggest it's always been there - a bit of historical fraud!

And to redeem myself for being an architecture/history geek, I'll give you this link to a little story from the photographer who shot The Smiths outside the Salford Lads Club:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/jun/12/photographer-stephen-wright-best-shot?intcmp=239.html

Ariel Rose Vigil said...

Aah! Such a brilliant idea! Thanks for posting about it!

LivingInSong said...

Thanks for sharing, I love the Beatles as well. C:

Oh, and where exactly is the bench from 500 Days of Summer? I absolutely adored that movie!

Unknown said...

These are so awesome!! I love things like this where you can see how a place has changed over the years.

Jodi said...

thanks for sharing! ur blog is amazing!

Leanne Elizabeth Manning. said...

I adore this post so much, thank you for sharing.


Leanne