11 January 2010

New York Shopping

b

photos by Tom b.

- wool dress from UO
- thrifted cashmere turtleneck
- Undercover wool tights
- Topshop sailor coat
- vintage riding boots
- vintage knit beret
- vintage Coach purse
- H&M scarf

While we were in NY over the weekend I managed to fit in a little shopping. Imagine that! Ha, ha. A couple of vintage shops turned up no treasures for me so I decided to hit up a couple of shops that we don’t have in Lancaster like Urban Outfitters and Topshop.

I didn’t mention it on the blog but a few weeks ago (maybe just before Christmas) I finally gave in and order the Fletcher for Lyell black velvet jacket I’d been eyeing for so long. Everything seemed fine with the order and I even received an email confirmation from them. Then… nothing. When I checked the order status, I found it had been cancelled and was now marked “out of stock”. Ugh! Way to toy with a girl’s heart, UO. So… I tried not to get my hopes up when we went into the store but was secretly keeping my fingers crossed they would have it in stock. Sure enough, there it was! They had it in black, grey and purple but I still just got the black.

Then on to Topshop we went. Now, here’s the crazy part of the shopping story. The day before, I posted a few photos on the blog of wintery looks. One of them included the Topshop sailor coat that I think we’ve all been coveting. I received a comment letting me know that Jenny from Fashion for Writers was getting rid of hers so I shot her an email to see if we could work something out. Unfortunately I hadn’t heard back from her when we left for shopping the next morning so upon walking into Topshop I secretly had my fingers crossed (yet again!) that the coat would magically be there. And there it was… the only one in the whole store! I was seriously shocked. I tried it on, fell in love and bought it on the spot. The only small snag in the whole transaction was when I got to the counter and realized it didn’t have any tags on it. So… when I got back to the apartment and checked my email, there was an note from Jenny apologizing because she had just returned the jacket to the store! Another email exchange later, Jenny and I came to the conclusion that I had purchased her coat just after she returned it to the store. How weird is that?!

Sorry for the long rambling story. I’m not known for my coherent story-telling skills.

e

48 comments:

Amanda said...

Great photos. That is such a coincidence with the coat.

Madeline Veenstra said...

That is such an amazing story! It was truly meant to be :)

juliamarisa said...

what incredible luck! its a coat very worthy of desire. and i love those boots btw.

Sidewalk Chic said...

What a great story! So glad you were able to get it -- it looks lovely on you! - JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

I love serendipity...it makes life so interesting. Thanks for sharing that story with us. The coat is adorable and perfect on you.

Q's Daydream said...

such a great story! love the coat ;o)

anon said...

that's wonderful for you, it's lovely on you.

Rosie said...

i've been looking for a black purse like yours. Glad your NYC shopping trip was profitable in the clothing department!

LoveCharlesVintage said...

haha, you tell great stories. Wish I was there! as soon as I'm done with college I'm heading to New York to open up a vintage store. You'll have to give me a rundown of what you saw while you were there shopping.


-Lily

Brigitte said...

I just wanted to say congratulations on making the Weardrobe 100! I've been reading your blog for a while now, so I included it in a roundup I posted on my favorite fashionistas who made the list.

http://covetchicago.typepad.com/covet/2010/01/weardrobe-100-chapter-1.html

Christina said...

I love a good shopping tale! Looking good.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is hilarious! Jenny and I were so disheartened that you weren't able to get the coat from her, so it's amazing that it worked out -- it looks fabulous on you!

xo
mw

megannielsen said...

I LOVE that jacket! It's so adorable, plus there's a great story behind it, which I think always makes something gold!

Lorena said...

Sooo weird!
The coat an you were meant to be...

ly said...

You look really cute in the last photo!

Soooali said...

Haha! That's amazing, I love when shoppin turns oy to be well worth it!

Sofie Marie said...

Oh wow thata a crazy cool story! ^^ Love the outfit,esspecially loving the bag.The coat is wonderful too,I've seen it everywhere and thought it was so cute!
Sofie
onetoomanywishes.blogspot.com

twila said...

really cute pictures. you look so lovely.

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Wow, what a lucky shopping day! Lovely photos!!

Samantha said...

i love your boots! i am also jealous of your ability to pair shorts and tights. it never seems to work on me but you look lovely

Anonymous said...

lovely photos! i LOVE the sailor coat in grey & navy...i have it in navy & white but i think i like yours more! :)

M. said...

love that sailor jacket, so lucky you got your hands on it!

lovelove, M.
http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Crazy story! So glad you got that coat though, it's adorable! Is that scarf from UO? I think it's the same one I'm wearing in my most recent post...

Starr Crow said...

that is pretty crazy! so glad you got your hands on one, it really is the most lovely coat. but i'm really not sure if i like your coat or your boots better, there both so wonderful.

Mandi Johnson said...

What luck! It's like your life is so I Heart Huckabees right now.

Bella Di Nonna said...

Great story, and one that I'm happy ended so well! And it's interesting to see your NYC photos, I was there for the weekend before Christmas when there was simply snow, snow, snow...

Bella x

Lexie said...

i cant believe the sart didnt catch you in NYC! you would have been on his blog for sure!

the spectator said...

Boy! I LOVE that sort of weird! It was meant to be be Jennifer. When you "put things out there" they'll come to you. BTW you look so cosy and snuggly in your photos.

Mari and Lani said...

Ooo! That last picture is definately my favorite. I love your scarf!

Elizabeth said...

i'm definitely guilty as charged when it comes to coveting/dreaming over that jacket. i think the sailor theme is so cute!

anja louise said...

Great to hear about all these shopping magic success stories! I have a confession- the navy sailor coat is coming to me from the UK! I got lucky and a blogger friend got one for me from the Top Shop in her city. I love the colors you got, I think it is going to look awesome with your wardrobe!!

Anonymous said...

Hi beautiful lady! The coat was made for you!!! I'm so glad that this little twist of fate worked out so marvelously, and I love how you styled the coat with your mustard scarf and boots. It's so clearly meant to be, as was the Lyell jacket:)

love, Jenny

Love_Again said...

these photos are so good! as are your boots, lovely lady.

Rae said...

I love these photos quite a bit! And I just adore happy fashion coincidences like that :] I think clothes are unique in their ability to stir up such emotions, don't you think? So happy for you!

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

That sailor jacket is so adorable!!

rachel red lips said...

i'd love to know what settings your boy uses to get such vivid light in every photo! simply gorgeous and your story is quite serendipitous.

Anonymous said...

love your boots! and that story is hilarious!

Fabiola "Fab" said...

I want your coat!!! also your boots!!!

M said...

I'm mostly amazed how empty New York seems to be in these photos. I've always imagined it crowded...

Anonymous said...

LOVIN' those boots! What a great vintage score...and I need some tights like those...where to find them? Undercover...I'll have to google it.

Eli said...

eeeeep! I love that coat so much

Anonymous said...

Oh that's a wonderfully serendipitous! The grey looks great, is so you.

I've been mooning over this coat for nearly six months, since the lightweight red version of it came out and am delighted to say that the navy one made it's way to me last week! I heart it with all my might and amazingly, it's cold enough to wear coats in New Zealand at the moment even though it's meant to be summer! Which sucks, but at least I have my dreamcoat.

ITIL change management said...

its really very nice posting with nice pictures thanks for sharing this with us...

matthew said...

Very nice post with a nice lady picture, she is looking really awesome in Coat

soirée enterrement de vie de jeune fille Paris said...

Super photos et tes chaussures sont magnifiques j'adore
Karine

Aline said...

you look so cute, i adore that coat!

performerbloguk said...

I just returned from NYC too, loved the shopping and found some great vintage stores around Greenwich Village. Love the boots by the way.

Anonymous said...

I love your boots!!!