31 March 2009

One of Each

As you well know by now, I'm terribly slow at responding to tags. I'm just not very good at catagorizing myself in that way - listing my favorites (they're always changing), picking out my quirks (I can't be terribly objective). But every once in a while a really unique one comes along that I can't resist. A while back Copperoranges passed along a tag to me that I thought would be a fun challenge to complete. I'm not really sure what the rules are except to pick one of each of the things on the list.

One photo: I picked this photo of my brother, my sister and me (I'm in the red hat) because it makes me laugh every time I look at it. And who doesn't get all nostalgic looking at photos from their childhood?

Untitled-5

One poem: If I had to pick a favorite poem this would certainly not be it. In the sixth grade my literature teacher made our entire class memorize this poem, word for word. Every day when we sat down at our desks we would go over and over a stanza, chanting it aloud until it was seared into our impressionable little brains. She also used to take off her shoes and throw them at students, but that is another story altogether. To this day, I can still recite this poem word for stinkin' word.

Untitled-4

A Psalm of Life - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem...

One Song: Yikes! This is a tough one. It changes nearly day to day. And it always depends on my mood. Right now, this has to be a big contender. Nearly every night when I cook dinner I put this one the iPod and dance around the kitchen. It never ceases to put me in a good mood.

Fleet Foxes: "Mykonos"



One Item of Clothing: Of all the items hanging in my closet waiting for spring to finally arrive, this one is the one I'm most excited to wear - a 1930's cotton day dress. Doesn't it look perfect for picnics and strolling through gardens full of cherry trees and dogwoods?

Untitled-3

One Disney Princess: Umm, I'm going to skip this one. I don't really know that much about Disney princesses and even if I did, I'm not much of a Disney princess kind of girl. Can I be Grumpy?

Untitled-2

One Quote: I don't have a certain quote that is a favorite so instead I'll leave you with a quote from my all time favorite book. I reread this book almost every summer. I even love the movie version! (I don't usually like my favorite books remade into movies)

Untitled-1

"Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired old town when I first knew it. In rainy weather the streets turned to red slop; grass grew on sidewalks, the courthouse sagged in the square. Somehow, it was hotter then: a black dog suffered on a summer's day; bony mules hitched to Hoover carts flicked flies in the sweltering shade of the live oaks on the square. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum."

9 comments:

Lexie said...

i love your answers! that photograph is precious!

Meaghan Kelly said...

you answers are wonderful!! :D

svenskaussie said...

That dress is simply heaven, I can't wait to see how you style it up for your summer picnics.

Anonymous said...

"not suitable for children"!! i think i first read that book when i was 8! oh how the times have changed... and i love that song too...

Josephine Frances said...

OH my god that thirties dress is too too perfect i am so jealous!! I really love the fleet foxes too :)

text machine said...

I love that dress. I've been searching for something just like it. Beautiful. As long as you can avoid spilling, which probably isn't a problem for most normal people but is almost a deal breaker for me.

Unknown said...

Great choices! Grumpy isn't much of a princess though unless you count his Diva attitude :~) And you kind of remind me of Scout in your little kid picture.

KDM said...

Nice picture of siblings...wish we were still there...

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Thanks for all of your comments!

copperoranges: Thanks for the tag. It was a fun one.

Meaghan Kelly: Thanks!

svenskaussie: I can't wait to wear it too. I'm sure you'll see photos!

ohphillipa: I know! I can't believe that either. I think it should be required for children!

Frances Baker: Thanks! I'm sure you'll see photos when I wear it. Aren't Fleet Foxes the best?

text machine: That's always a problem for me too. I'm such a messy girl.

Zombie Lace: Ha, ha. I'll take Grumpy over a princess any day. And I'll take that as a compliment!

KDM: Hi brother! Me too!